If you’re an Amazon Associate, you’ve probably jumped into Amazon’s awesome tool for creating affiliate product links – the Product Link Creator, which gives you a piece of code that you can use to promote your products on your site without doing any of the coding yourself. Although the Amazon Affiliate link generator is super handy, the links that are created still suffer from the dreaded “geofragmentation” issue that all raw Amazon links have because of the separate Amazon storefronts around the world.
Because of this, we often get emails saying “Hey – I have the code for a product I want to put on my site – how do I make it global to make sure my international audience gets to this product in their stores? I want to use Amazon’s affiliate link generator, but don’t want to give a dead user experience” Lucky for all of you who have asked (and even those of you who haven’t yet), we’ve got a solution. Without further ado – here’s how to “globalize” your Amazon Product Links.
- Head to the Product Links section of your Associates dashboard (This links to the US version, but each country has its own found under the “Links and Banners” menu).
- Search for the product you want to create a link for in the Amazon Affiliate Link Generator and once the results are displayed, click the “Get Link” button on the right-hand side
- This will bring you to a screen with three options at the top: Text and Image, Text Only, and Image Only type links.
- Select either Image Only or Text Only as the type of link (Note: This trick won’t work for the “Text and Image” links because that code calls back to Amazon directly, meaning we can’t “globalize” that link).
- Once you’ve selected the type of link you want to create, copy the full HTML, which will give you something like this:
<a href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAYCXWG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00SAYCXWG&linkCode=as2&tag=geo02a9-20&linkId=3FR323D4QGKZ7QVT“><img border=”0″ src=”http://ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00SAYCXWG&Format=_SL110_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=geo02a9-20″ ></a><img src=”http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=geo02a9-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00SAYCXWG” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
- Within that code, I’ve bolded something called the HREF tag. This is the actual link (the destination URL) that people get sent to when they click on your affiliate link. Copy everything within the quotes, then head over to your Geniuslink account.
- Paste in that Amazon URL into the geni.us link creator on the Links page, and click save to create a geni.us link
- Now you have a globalized link for that product! Let’s put it back into the original Amazon code. To do so, replace everything that was bolded in the original code with the new geni.us link you just created, like so:
<a href=”http://geni.us/4FA“><img border=”0″ src=”http://ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00SAYCXWG&Format=_SL110_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=geo02a9-20″ ></a><img src=”http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=geo02a9-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00SAYCXWG” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
- Now – continue on as you would normally and paste that entire code snippet onto your site.
- That’s it! You now have an Amazon product link that’s properly globalized (and affiliated as long as your affiliate info is in your Geniuslink account) for your international audience. Below’s what it looks like when it’s actually posted on your site.
Please note: it’s always important to make sure every link you create falls in line with the Amazon Operating Agreement. This guide is meant to be for informational purposes only and it’s up to you to check with your Amazon Associates rep to make sure its okay to use on your site.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Let us know!